Monday, June 7, 2010

IMS Irritable Male Syndrome

Angry, sarcastic, explosive, depressive, sad, unwanted, need to with drawn to video games, excessive eating, the need to drink more caffeine.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I felt for few months now

For most people, its the typical guy or typical hot headed male.

However some studies shown its the effect of the sudden decrease level of testosterone in males which causes these symptoms.

There is this guy named Dr Jed Diamond, who wrote the book "The Irritable Male Syndrome". He claims he has done the study in more than 10,000 men and proof that this is a real syndrome in men.

One might find in similar to PMS (pre menstrual syndrome) which occur in women before they have their period. Menopause happens to women after they ran out of ovum supplies and stopped menstruating. Which means, it happens every month or when they reach the age 50

IMS however, can happen everyday. Male produce sperms for the rest of their lives, even if they are impotent, but the testosterone level does decrease with old age. This kinda shows how some males are so temperamental and why old man are cranky

I watched a show on 3R about PMS and IMS. They claim men should not give women a hard time since women have PMS, but men have IMS. All I understood from the show is that if I am aggressive, withdrawn, angry and so on, you can't blame it on me, but blame it on my sudden decrease in testosterone level? Nice job ladies of 3R, and you writers and producers to give that understanding to me. Thank god your show does not cater to the general male population. Just freaks like me who like to watch it.

This is an excerpt of an interview with Dr Jen

Again, there is the assumption that women are hormonal but men are moved more by logic. But the truth is men are as hormonally driven as women. In fact, men have a number of hormonal cycles:

1) Men's testosterone, for instance, varies and goes up and down four or five times an hour.
2) There are daily cycles with testosterone being higher in the morning and lower at night.
3) Men have a monthly hormonal cycle that is unique to each man, but men can actually track their moods and recognize they are related to hormonal changes through the month.
4) We know that there are seasonal cycles with testosterone higher in November and lower in April.
5) We know about hormonal cycles with males during adolescence, but also the years between 40 and 55 have what we call male menopause or andropause.
6) Finally, we know there are hormonal changes in men going through IMS, related to stress in a man's life.

You can read more in Wiki, Medicine Net, the doctors own website selling his book (I wonder if this is a scam really than the truth) and at enotlone

They say this is genetic, I find my dad with explosive anger burst all week. Especially if he is under stress. I guess I inherited it. It kinda sucks, that I have to be wrong, when I want to be right (a sign of IMS), that I don't know whats going on (IMS again), and that people don't get it (I should the poster boy of IMS)

I wonder though, if they say this is about decrease of testosterone level, what if I took testosterone? No not the ones the body builder takes, well actually is the same, usually the body builder takes likes 50 times the recommended dose, while for hormonal therapy, its much-much lower in the dosage. A friend of my took it because he wants to grow more facial hair. Well, he was hairier, but not at face but at the arms, legs and so on. Also his sex drive was a lot higher. This is a problem for those who are single, not married, believe masturbation will cause you to go blind and believe in sex after marriage.

This makes me stressed out just thinking about it. I think spikes in the testosterone level affected my skin, I get pimples more often than I should, and I am very religious with washing my face with a cleanser.

Basically the article says I should face my problems head on. There is problem though, since it involves people, these people find themselves doing nothing wrong, which makes me irritated even more. This shows that I have to change or I have to look at the situation differently. I don't want to (IMS, IMS)

Erghh.. this allergy is making things worse, and the meds that I got before, is not kicking in at ALL..

So now you know why most of my entry is very emo... :D

3 comments:

Ken Wooi said...

haha a new term for the men to counter ladies' PMS! =P

Unknown said...

kenwooi: yup2...

Ad said...

sesekali kene luahkan perasaan!