Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Germ Theory and Hygiene Hypothesis

I was bathing the other day and wanted to use a brand new bottle of body wash. I been using bar soap for a month or two now, because I ran out of body wash, but after taking a shower in a friend's house, he had this Lifebuoy, purple body wash, with yogurt extract.

That yogurt shit is total bogus because there is next to none in it since its listed in the ingredients after the preservatives. So really, I liked it because it smells nice. As I lathered on with my loofah, I suddenly remembered about germ theory.

What is it? It is actually a theory that disease is caused by microorganism. So hence an antimicrobial body wash like this that contains triclosan is good for us because it can kill up to 99.9% germs. (that's what the commercial said).

There is also a hygiene hypotheses that said, if you are too clean, you can infected with more disease because your immune system has never gotten infected before. Actually that is one reason why I stopped using antimicrobial body wash or soap. Unless I am working in health care, research or medical, normal soap would be sufficient enough.

Its really something that has both side debating. Heck even triclosan is now being questioned whether it is absorbed into the skin and into the liver. Go figure.

So the choice is still up to you. Pick a side and be happy with it. I just hope you do bath with soap, because cleanliness is next to godliness.. (I heard the quote somewhere, I don't really remember)


Can you imagine, all of this was in my head in my 7 minute shower. Owh I still use this body wash, because it smells sooo nice.

No comments: